Massachusetts Horticultural Society
The Gardens at Elm Bank, home base for the Massachusetts Horticultural Society, includes a 36-acre public garden, located within the historic Elm Bank Reservation (182 acres) which is owned and operated by the Department of Conservation and Recreation located in Wellesley/Dover, MA. The Gardens at Elm Bank include ten formal gardens, three greenhouses, and various other cultivated plantings not formally designated. Formal thematic gardens include: Olmstead Brothers Italianate Garden, Bressingham Garden, Weezie’s Garden for Children, New England Trial Garden, James Crockett Memorial Garden, Goddesses Garden, The Seed to Table Program's vegetable garden, The Hosta collection, Flora, and the Welcome Garden. Also on site are gardens maintained by four regional plant societies: American Hemerocallis Society Daylily Garden, the Noanett Garden Club Native Plants Garden, the Alan Payne Rhododendron Garden, and the New England Unit of the Herb Society of America teaching herb garden. All personnel are ambassadors of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society and readily interact with visitors, members, donors, trustees, volunteers, and the public.
MISSION: Massachusetts Horticultural Society is dedicated to encouraging the art, science and practice of horticulture, and to developing the public's enjoyment, appreciation, and understanding of plants and the environment.
REPORTS TO: Director of Operations
WORKS WITH: Director of Operations, Gardens Curator, Senior Horticulturist, Groundskeepers, other staff, volunteers, and Interns
POSITION TYPE: hourly
SEASON: April 1- November 30, 2019. Full time seasonal, including one weekend day being Saturday typically.
HOURS PER WEEK: 40 hr/wk.
SEASONAL HORTICULTURALIST JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Seasonal Horticulturist performs a wide range of general garden maintenance and gardening activities. This position frequently requires the expenditure of physical labor and the use of motorized equipment and other tools. Duties/Responsibilities include weeding, watering, planting, pruning, propagation, plant labeling, and weed control.
- Performs a variety tasks in the horticultural maintenance and operation of The Gardens at Elm Bank, public gardens and greenhouses.
- Living collections maintenance: weeding, mulching, transplanting, watering, routine cultivation of all types of plants
- Operates a motor vehicle to assist in carrying out the business of the Society
- Performs maintenance on irrigation systems in conjunction with groundskeepers
- Physical requirements of this position:
- Ability to lift 50 pounds or more
- Bend, squat, lift
- Propagation of plants from seed and cutting for all gardens, seasonal plant displays and annual plant sales.
- Assist with ongoing plant records and labeling for woody and other living collections
- Tree pruning
- Hedge and shrub pruning
- Assisting with the management of compost on site
- Occasional use of vibrating power equipment including lawn mowers, edgers, string trimmers, leaf blowers, chain saw
- Provide additional services as requested by the Gardens Curator and/or Senior Horticulturist
- High School Diploma or GED; four years’ experience in horticultural work at a public garden (preferred), greenhouse operations, park or estate garden maintenance. Less desirable but still considered: background in grounds keeping and general landscaping.
- Hold core skills commensurate with extensive experience in horticulture, including working knowledge of a horticulturist's tool kit
- Ability to engage public amiably and professionally
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to carry out directions independently
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Require CORI clearance